Courts We Serve
MCPO Press Releases
- MAP: Will clouds block the view of solar eclipse from your backyard?
- Group donates record number of backpacks at Joint Base (PHOTOS)
- Motorcyclist thrown from his Harley on I-287 dies, State Police say
- Man accused in random attack, beating death indicted on murder charge
- Blaze that destroyed South Brunswick house deemed accidental
Edison DWI Lawyers
Edison Township NJ DWI Defense Attorneys
It may not come as a surprise that the police in Edison have occasion to issue a large number of driving while intoxicated offenses each year as it probably is the fifth most populated town in the New Jersey. If you are facing a first offense, second offense or third offense, for violating N.J.S.A. 39:4-50, you need to know what you are up against. In this regard, any conviction for DWI carries a mandatory drivers license suspension and the severity of the penalties escalate if you have a prior conviction(s) for drinking and driving. What you need to know, however, is that we are successful in avoiding a finding of guilty to DWI in Edison in more cases than you might think. Our success is a reflection of both our hard work and determination, and the level of skill possessed by the attorneys on our staff. We are the certainly the only driving while intoxicated defense firm that we can identify in NJ with even ONE of these qualifications: five (5) individuals who are Alcotest Certified; four (4) that are former DWI prosecutors in over 25 municipalities; four (4) who are certified in standardized field sobriety; or two (2) who are certified instructors in field tests. We are prepared to put our resources to work for you, including utilizing our own Alcotest machine, to achieve a favorable outcome in Edison Municipal Court. Call us anytime of day at 732-634-0700 to schedule an appointment in our Woodbridge, E. Brunswick or New Brunswick office.
How Will the Prosecutor Prove that I was Intoxicated?
The blood alcohol content (“BAC”) limit in NJ is .08%. What this means is that if you are found, either by breath test or blood, to be operating a motor vehicle with a BAC at or in excess of .08%, you are in violation of the DWI law, N.J.S.A. 39:4-50. The truth is that the police and prosecutor in Edison must adhere to relatively stringent procedures and guidelines to insure that a Alcotest reading (i.e. breath test reading) or laboratory report (i.e blood test) may be admitted into evidence. Our lawyers utilize their training, as well as relentless pursuit of all discovery, to disqualify this scientific evidence in many of the cases we handle in Edison Municipal Court every year.
What Are The Penalties If You Are Convicted of DWI?
The fine, license suspension, jail and other consequences of a DUI offense are as follows:
- First Offense. If the bac is .08%-.099%, the fine is $250-$400 and the suspension is 3 months. If the bac is .10% or above, the fine is $300-$500 and the license suspension is 7-12 months. Jail of up to 30 days and 12 hours in the Intoxicated Drivers Resource Center (“IDRC”) also applies.
- Second Offense. The court must impose a fine of $500-$1,000, license suspension for 2 years, 48 hours in the IDRC, 30 days community service, and 2-90 days in jail. Installation of an ignition interlock may also be ordered by the court.
- Third Offense (or Subsequent). The fine for a third or subsequent offense is $1,000, the drivers license suspension is 10 years, and there is a mandatory jail term of 180 days, 90 days of which may be served in an inpatient rehabilitation center if approved by the municipal judge. Ignition interllock is mandatory.
Experienced Defense Lawyers To Beat Your Edison DWI
There is little doubt in our mind that the best way of insuring yourself success in defending a DUI charge in Edison is to hire the right attorney. Our firm, the Law Offices of Jonathan F. Marshall, can offer you representation by lawyers with training and experience that is truly exceptional. We encourage you to do your research, look closely at the actual experience of those you include in your selection process and, if you do, we are confident that you will recognize that you should call us. A lawyer on our team is available around the clock to assist you at 732-634-0700.